Thursday, May 03, 2007

Jenny and Frienspeak

I heard about Friendspeak. It is an outreach program that was using the Bible to teach English in foreign lands. In order to copy of their guidebook, as well as extra booklets, because we have a lot the Spanish speaking neighbors in the apartment next to the church building. I was seeking ways to open doors there.

When the book arrived, I spent a couple of days reading them. On the afternoon I finished reading the books, and young lady stuck her head and said my office and asked, "do you have any classes to help people improve their English?" My response was, "We're about to start one".

I got her name, and told her what I wanted to accomplish. I also found that are scheduled. The ladies name was Ginny, and she is from Quito, Ecuador. I called a friend to see if she would be my co-teacher with Jenny. She agreed, and we began to meet once a week with Jenny.

Jenny was staying in the home of her sister. She she was a bright student from a college graduate with a degree in international business. When divided her to worship, and she began to come; even bringing her sister and her niece.

11 weeks later, Jimmy was about to return to her native Ecuador. We talked with her about her need for salvation three days before she left, she was baptized into Christ. Three days after Ginny had returned home, we were able to begin a home Bible study with Jenny sister, Monica, and her brother-in-law, Jimmy. Monica and Jimmy continued to come to worship services, and eventually Monica was baptized also. Monica has become my co-teacher in other studies with our Spanish-speaking neighbors who want to learn to speak English better.




Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: