Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Shack, by William P. Young

A few months ago I was urged to read the book The Shack by William p> Young. It is of the theological fiction genre, so it is right up my alley. I got a copy of the book and placed it in my To Be Read stack. I picked it up last week and finished it in only a few days. It was a compelling read!




The story centers on the life of Mackenzie Phillips and how he deals with the loss of a daughter to a serial child killer. One can easily identify with the kinds of emotions that Mack struggle with, including anger and distrust of God. Mack's journey to the shack where the crime ended is not unlike one most of us have to make at some time in our lives.






I do not think I have ever read or heard such a revealing depiction of the triune God, Father, Son and Spirit as the one Young painted in his story. The powerful appeal of the relationship between the persons of the Trinity generates a deep desire to enter into such a relationship with God.






Some of the theology presented in the book, I cannot embrace. I would urge all readers of the book not to allow emotions that grow out of reading the story to cloud their spiritual discernment, but to trust on the revealed Will of God in the Bible for the final authority in their faith and practice.




Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: