Thursday, March 22, 2007

Three Favorite Burt Lancaster Movies

I just posted a blog on Ulzana's Raid. It is one of my three favorite Burt Lancaster Movies. Lancaster is in my top 20 all time favorite actors because he could do any type role, tough guy action, dramatic lead, or comedy, and do them well.
And his brilliance lasted over a long career, he made over 80 movies from the 40's thru 1990. He was perfectly cast as the hard-bitten old scout in Ulzana's Raid

Maybe Lancaster's best acting job came in Birdman of Alcatraz. It was a marvelous portrayal of a violent criminal who had a heart. (My dad disagrees, he believes Lancaster's best performance was in Elmer Gantry).


But I think my favorite role for Burt Lancaster was as Doc Graham in Field of Dreams. He absolutely articulated the dream of all of us who fantacized about playing in the big leagues, but never made it. If you are one of those, you will never forget Burt describing the vision of stretching a double into a triple and hugging third base. I dreamed that type of moment so many times.

Can you identify?



Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: