Monday, March 19, 2007

When We Attended a Grandparenting Seminar

My wife and I attended a family seminar at Abilene Christian University the July before our first grandchild was to be born the next January. One of the sessions offered was on being godly grandparents, and was conducted by Dr. Stafford North and his wife. They gave us all sorts of insights and warnings, we took lots of notes.

But the part we liked the most was the assignment we had during the session, to come up with at least one way we would try to influence our grandchildren. We came up with a few things that we have implemented, but one is very dear to me.


I determined that I would send him/her and note from me each month, on the day of the month which my grandchild was born. In the note I would let him know that he is loved and prayed for. I would picture for him some value I wanted him to embrace or some goal for his future. I would also include a dollar each month to be saved toward his first mission trip to the Caribbean with me when he turned 15.


Six months later I implemented the tradition and have carried it on every month for over 13 years. I added each of the other grandkids as they came along, so now I write 4 notes each month, one on the 1st, one on the 5th and two on the 14th. And I raised the amount to $5 each month when I began, so it costs me $20 each month. But it is a small price to pay for the joy I get in the practice and the hope I see for the future of my grandchildren.






Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: