Friday, May 04, 2007

Day Tight Compartments

A few weeks ago I heard a man speaking to a group of senior citizens, (yes I was attending a meeting of a group of senior citizens from our congregation -- -- I'm not actually old enough to be there, but some of my friends snuck me in). His presentation was about avoiding anxiety and stress. He was an entertaining speaker, and he used a phrase that I had never heard before that I liked. I told him on is going to use a phrase, maybe in a sermon, but surely as a blog title.

He told us that his dad had a philosophy that everything ought to be kept in Day Tight Compartments. The idea is that you only deal with today's problems today. You don't fret about the things are on the horizon; you don't worry about things that are in the past. It's a good philosophy, and very biblical

Paul wrote to the Philippians and told them, "and nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." And he told the Corinthians, "I would have you be free from cares."

. In the Sermon on the Mount as recorded in Matthew chapters 5, 6, and 7 teaches addresses anxiety. After telling people not to worry about what to eat or what to drink or what to wear, Jesus finishes the thought with, "take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

That sounds like Day Tight Compartments to me!



Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: