Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Mistaken Identity!!!!

A few days ago I received a small package in the mail with a return address to someone that I did not know. When I opened it, it took a few moments for me to realize what was going on. The package included a note, apparently handwritten by young man, three baseball cards in a plastic case and a pen. I recognized the cards, being a collector myself and because, coincidentally, the player and I share the same name.

When I read the letter, I realized that the boy had somehow found my address at the church and had come to the conclusion that the ballplayer had hung up his cleats and become a minister. The boy asked that I sign each of the cards and return them to him in the enclosed self-addressed and stamped envelope. I got a big kick out of the mistake, and so did some of the members here when I showed them the letter and the cards. My grandkids especially had a big laugh. Of course I would not sign the cards, as I am not the ex-ballplayer. At least not the professional ballplayer on the cards.

But I had met the young man on the cards a few years ago, after having seen him play in the Astrodome in Houston. When I showed him my business card he had a laugh. We visited for a few minutes and I told him that I knew there would be some baseball cards coming out in the new year, and I hoped he would be willing to sign some for me. He told me how to get hold of him, and when the cards came out, I sent a few to him, which he returned autographed.

I happened to have an extra one of those still in my collection, so I posted a note back to my young petitioner explaining the situation and included one of my autographed cards, along with his three cards that remained unsigned. I hope he was satisfied, because I really enjoyed that exchange.


Add to Technorati Favorites


No comments: